Green isn’t just for St. Patty’s day this March; it’s also for your plate! It’s National Nutrition Month and this year’s theme, “Get Your Plate in Shape”, helps show people how eating more fruits and vegetables, along with watching portion size can positively impact their lives. We know that when you’re rushing around in your medical uniforms, working a 12-hour shift it’s not always easy to have a balanced meal, so here are some ideas for nutritious on-the-go snacks that will help keep energy levels high:
- Natural peanut butter and apples (or celery, bananas…)
- Greek yogurt
- Homemade trail mix with your favorite nuts or dried fruits
- Kashi TLC crackers and a Laughing Cow cheese wedge
- Luna Bars
- Frozen grapes (perfect for a summer cool-down)
- Raw veggies and hummus or guacamole
- Toasetd pumpkin seeds (one of our favorite brands is Eden Foods Spicy!)
- Edamame (packs a powerful punch of fiber and protein)
If you want to learn more about making healthier lifestyle choices straight from nutrition professionals visit http://www.eatright.org/. They also have a section on creative ways to get kids excited about healthy options!
Tell us…what’s your favorite nutritional snack while at work?