This Sunday, November 11 is Veteran’s Day. Veteran’s Day started out as a national holiday in tribute of Armistice Day, or the end of World War I. It changed in 1954 after WWII and the Korean War to become Veteran’s Day, which now commemorates veterans of all of the U.S. wars.
We want to send a big “thank you” to all of our veterans, active military personnel, medical veterans, and their families for their service and dedication to our country!
We’ve compiled a few ways you can show your appreciation for these heroes:
- Join a program like Operation Gratitude or Soldiers’ Angels. These connect civilians to soldiers deployed overseas…you can greatly improve morale by committing to sending just one care package a month.
- Go to businesses that show support for our troops. Many restaurants like Applebee’s and entertainment venues offer discounts to active military and veterans on Veterans Day, but if you dig a little deeper you’ll find others like Home Depot, Lowe’s, numerous travel providers, and cruise lines offer discounts year round!
- Support an organization focuses on helping military families like www.OurMilitaryKids.org, where you can make financial donations or host your own fundraisers to benefit the kids of military personnel.
- Volunteer for your local Veteran’s assistance branch. You can help out in many ways like fundraising or shelter donations to mentoring to help lead a veteran toward self-sufficiency.
- It may be simple, but expressing gratitude for someone who sacrificed their life for our freedom has a big impact!